There are many DJs who are complaining that they are not able to make decent money acting as a DJ. I’ve heard many statements that, “I can’t afford great equipment therefore I can’t charge a lot.”
Honestly, a professional can go out on a event with two cheap speakers, a small controller and a basic laptop and command $3000 if he/she is a skilled entertainer. Even more so on the level of importance would be their sales skill and business skills.
For all those stuck in business mediocrity who want an edge and break out of the lowball mentality I recommend the following 10 steps.
3. Find a mentor. Someone who is successful and will take you under their wing to counsel you, talk philosophy in business. If possible shadow them on some events if they are local to your area.
5. Contact Glen Ervin at Promo Only and sign up for POOL so you can have the best music service on the planet. When you sign up take advantage of your discount provided as a member of the ADJA. https://promoonly.com
6. Record your performances. Whether it is you’re mixing skills or your microphone technique, watch yourself on video and it will open up a huge window of how to improve shortcomings. Once you have watched your self a few times on video order the 1% solution DVD series from Randy Bartlett. http://dj1percentsolution.com
7. Find a professional graphic designer and give your logo and image a complete makeover. You cannot be considered serious in sales with a homemade logo or cheap looking branding.
9. Sit down and seriously create a business plan. In this business plan make a realistic goal for your business and put forth the necessary tasks needed to get there. Then follow it.
10. Select one conference or workshop per year. Dedicate yourself to attending these workshops or conferences and you will improve as long as you show up with the right attitude and be prepared to learn. Might I recommend:
- Mobile Beat Las Vegas https://www.mobilebeatlasvegas.com
- DJ Times Atlantic City http://thedjexpo.com
- ARM DJ http://www.armdjs.com
- Wedding MBA Las Vegas http://www.weddingmba.com
- MidWest DJs Milwaukee WI http://www.midwestdjslive.com
- Audio Symposium Burnsville MN (April 2018)
- WeddingWire World http://www.weddingwireworld.com
- LDI Las Vegas http://www.ldishow.com/ldi17/Public/Enter.aspx
You will notice that I never once talked about investment in equipment. This 10 step plan will bring you business success if you follow it. With your success will come the ability to raise your rates and finally be paid like a professional. That is because you are now a professional because you care enough to be one. And NOW….. you finally can afford the good equipment
Here’s to your success!